Reigate Priory Junior School
The Holbein Fireplace

Reigate Priory Junior School

Reigate Priory was founded around 1235 and remained a centre of worship unit it was dissolved by Henry VIII in 1536. It was the home of the Howard family from 1541 to 1681 when it was sold to John Parsons, a brewer, MP and Lord Mayor of London. In 1766 ownership passed to a cheesemonger, Richard Ireland. Around 1770, the west wing was devastated by fire. The need for major repairs allowed for remodelling and the creation of its Georgian facade. But many original features remain. It stayed in private hands until 1945 when it was purchased by Reigate Borough Council. It has been a State School since 1948.
The Holbein Hall takes its name from the fireplace (pictured above) at its heart. It was commissioned by Henry VIII for Nonsuch Palace in Ewell and is widely believed to have been designed by his court painter, Hans Holbein. It was moved from Nonsuch to Bletchingley Place for Anne of Cleves and from there to Reigate Priory in 1655.
As one of the Priory’s most treasured and important features, great care and planning was necessary to ensure its protection and preservation.
Listed Status
Client
Brief
Method
Notes
Project Specifications