Royal Watermen’s Almshouses

The Free Watermen and Lightermen’s Almshouses, to give this fine early Victorian building its full name, was designed by the architect George Porter and built in 1840–1841 by the Company of Watermen and Lightermen of the City of London for retired company freemen and their widows. The Almspeople were moved to a new site in Hastings in 1973 when the buildings were converted into private residences, retaining their Grade II listing.
Listed Status
Client
Brief
Method
Project Specifications