Share this Project

Crystal Palace Colonnade

The 1-mile Crystal Palace racing circuit opened in 1927 and the first race, for motorcycles, was on 21 May 1927. It was improved, fully laid with Tarmac and lengthened (to 2m) in 1936/7
During WWII, the park was taken over by the MOD and it wasn’t until 1953 that racing restarted though local residents’pressure had motor sport events in the park limited to five days per year. Despite major improvements in the late 60s and early 70s and an increase to 14 days activity, the final meeting was held on 23 September 1972 and the track closed for good in 1974.

Grade II
Crystal Palace Park Heritage Society
Restore the stone colonnade that had been covered by earth to form terracing for the car racing circuit decades before.
The earth was taken away by a third party and we then cleaned down the existing stonework revealed, removing the plant growth and plants roots that had worked their way into the stone.
Each defective stone was cut back to remove the friable materials and then restored using our reconstituted Bath stone medium.
All open and defective stone joints were re-pointed.

Materials:
Masonry
Natural Stone

Work:
Cleaning
Restoration

Sector:
Commercial
Heritage